Road conditions around the Houston area
Updated On: Jan 28 2014 10:53:56 PM CST
As freezing rain and sleet falls across the Local 2 viewing area Tuesday morning, officials are strongly advising drivers to stay off the roads as much as possible.
The Texas Department of Transportation says elevated structures such as bridges and overpasses are most likely to freeze first.
TxDOT tweeted out that they are starting sanding operations after patchy ice is forming at the Highway 290 westbound and Highway 6 flyover in the Hempstead area. Sanding operations are also underway at the Eastex Freeway at the North Loop, on the East Loop just before the East Freeway and I-10 at Highway 99.
Icy conditions are being reported at the following locations:
- SH-332 Eastbound at BLUEWATER HIGHWAY/AVE A CR 257 01/28/2014 10:21 PM
- IH-10 Eastbound at FM-565 All Mainlanes 01/28/2014 1:37 PM
- IH-10 Westbound before FM-565 All Mainlanes 01/28/2014 1:42 PM
- IH-45 Northbound at GALVESTON CAUSEWAY BRIDGE 2 Mainlane(s), 1 Shoulder Lane(s) 01/28/2014 9:54 PM
- IH-45 Southbound at GALVESTON CAUSEWAY BRIDGE 2 Mainlane(s), 1 Shoulder Lane(s) 01/28/2014 9:56 PM
- SH-146 Northbound at 25TH AVE. Unknown 01/28/2014 12:38 PM
The Fred Hartman Bridge is open at this time, but crews are spraying the bridge.
As of 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, there are no reported road closures due to weather.
Houston residents who see ice on city roadways should contact Houston 311 to report it.
The Houston Police Department is asking residents who are involved in minor accidents without injuries to move vehicles to the side of the road or off of freeways, exchange information, take pictures of damage and move on. Houston police will respond to accidents with injuries and immovable vehicles. Drivers are also reminded to not stand in the roadway after an accident for their safety.
TxDOT crews spent Monday pre-treating bridges and overpasses with magnesium chloride, which is used to minimize freezing due to accumulated water on roadways.
If drivers you must be on the road, TxDOT has the following safety tips:
- Reduce speed
- Increase following distance
- Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses
- Stay back at least 200 feet from vehicles treating roadways
- If you start to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes and steer into the direction of the skid
- Avoid unnecessary travel