Lightning strike ignites vapors in the air, starting fire above gas pumps
Updated On: Jul 08 2014 10:54:05 PM CDT
The South Houston Fire chief says a lightning strike was so close gasoline venting pipes above some pumps at the Mi Tienda Grocery Store that vapors in the are ignited and started a fire.
"It was really weird, it looked like a giant torch was burning into the sky at the gas pumps," said an employee at Mi Tienda.
Within minutes, South Houston firefighters were on scene and were able to extinguish the fire with water. But Tuesday night, those gas pumps were still taped off, closed to the public.
Fire officials said there is no longer any danger.
A worker did one final inspection of the roof area Tuesday night where the fire broke out.
The pumps are expected to be open to the public by 6 a.m. Wednesday.