Houston Marathon announces new security measures
Updated On: Dec 12 2013 07:05:53 PM CST
There are some changes to an event that draws thousands of runners to Houston from all around the world.
Organizers with the Houston Marathon are announcing new security measures to keep runners and spectators safe on race day, January 19, 2014.
Here are the new changes, according to the Houston Marathon:
- All runners must have a valid, government-issued photo identification to pick up their packets.
- If picking up for a friend, you will need a signed copy of their final confirmation along with a printed copy of their government-issued photo identification.
- All bags and items entering Marathon venues and events may be subject to search.
- To expedite longer lines and avoid possible bag searches throughout race weekend, the HMC strongly discourages bringing any type of backpacks or large bags other than the race-issued Gear Check bag.
- Clear Gear Check Bags will be provided to all registered runners at Packet Pick-Up in the EXPO on Friday and Saturday, January 17 and 18. Runners may check the clear bag at Gear Check in the GRB on Sunday or in Discovery Green for the ABB 5K on Saturday.
- Clear bags that contain other bags will not be accepted.
- Arrive early to avoid any delays on race morning. The GRB will open to runners at 5:00 a.m.
- All bags may be subject to search.
- There will be checkpoints to enter the finish line viewing areas. Spectators are discouraged from bringing bags to the finish line area.
- Spectators can watch the finish from the bleachers on the Discovery Green side of the finish line, as well as from the corner of Lamar and Avenida de las Americas.
- There will be no viewing access near the finish line on the Convention Center side of Avenida de las Americas. Spectators will have access to the pedestrian bridge to move north and south, however no standing will be permitted and views will be blocked in this area.
- All items deemed to be dangerous or inappropriate will be confiscated or denied entrance at the sole discretion of security personnel.