Houston family waits to hear from son after Typhoon Haiyan

Published On: Nov 11 2013 06:54:33 PM CST   Updated On: Nov 12 2013 07:34:58 AM CST

Nov. 11, 2013: A Houston-area family is watching the recovery after the typhoon in the Philippines as they wait to hear from a loved one.  Idolina Peralez reports.


Screaming winds with 235 mph gusts swept through the Philippines as Super Typhoon Haiyan made landfall early Friday morning. The catastrophic winds left behind a path of demolished homes. Storm surge was reported to be 20 feet high in Tacloban.

According to the US Navy's Joint Typhoon Warning Center, wave heights stretched as high as 45 feet. Storm surge was reported to be 20 feet high in Tacloban.

A businessman from Houston named Phillip Burgay, 57, was in the middle of it all.

"It's too much for me. All I want to do is cry," said Phillip's mother, Deloris Davis, of Houston. She has been anxiously waiting for any word from her son.

Phillip was in the fishing town of Palo visiting his fiancée. Palo is just over seven miles South of Tacloban. The last communication he had with his parents was Wednesday.

"He sent me an email saying we are going to lose power tomorrow," stated Deloris. "So I won't be able to get in touch with him."

Not knowing if their son was safe, Phillip's father, Harry, went hunting for answers. He contacted the state department, Red Cross, and even called the LDS church which has missionaries in the country.

"What I suspect is that he is helping the Philippine people and hasn't even thought about contacting us," said Harry.

On Monday morning, the urgency to find their son was heightened because of news reports that the city of Palo is considering mass graves.

"If they have a mass grave, they are going to take the bodies and there won't be any identification of people, and we will be without any information about what has happened to Phil," said Harry.

They continue to hope their son is alive, that somehow across the world he will hear their message.

"Please get on the plane and come home," pleaded Deloris.

The US Embassy told Harry to register Phillip online, which he did. They told him they would contact him if they had any positive information.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus