Cat burned in 5-alarm Montrose apartment fire recovering at clinic

By Danielle Wilson, News Producer
Published On: Mar 27 2014 06:25:46 PM CDT
Updated On: Mar 27 2014 10:49:49 PM CDT
MONTROSE -

The smallest victim of a Montrose apartment fire is recovering from her burn injuries at an animal clinic.

Staff members at Montrose Vet Clinic have named the cat Phoenix.

She is in critical condition and the clinic will be posting pictures and updates on its Facebook page for people who are inquiring.

Cathy Cordes lives directly across the street from where the five-alarm inferno destroyed an under-construction apartment complex on the corner of West Dallas and Montrose on Tuesday.

She found Phoenix badly burned.

"My dogs kept smelling under the toolbox and we didn't know what was going on and we went and looked and saw this cat under the toolbox meowing," she said.

Cordes immediately got the cat, put it in a box and rushed it to the vet to be treated.

According to the clinic, though Phoenix smells like ashes and burnt hair she is still purring.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the construction site but so far, fire officials haven't found anything to be out of line or unsafe.

The Houston Fire Department said construction sites are always at high risk for fires because the buildings aren't completed.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus