Which malls have most, least crime?
Updated On: Nov 21 2012 11:55:11 PM CST
Shoppers hitting Houston area malls on Black Friday won't be the only ones "on-the-go." Holiday shopping is also for crooks.
While you're hunting for deep discounts, thieves may be waiting for just the right moment to strike.
"I always just kind of watch my back when I'm going to the car. I have my keys in my hand, make sure I'm not on my cellphone," said shopper Crystal Milton.
Since Houston area malls usually see the biggest crowds during the holidays, we did the research to see which ones had the most crimes against shoppers. These statistics are from April through July of this year, in and around the mall.
- Almeda Mall had two thefts, seven auto thefts and one robbery.
- The Galleria reported 50 thefts and two robberies.
- Greenspoint Mall reported 16 thefts and two robberies.
- Highland Village had two thefts.
- Memorial City Mall reported seven thefts and one robbery.
- Meyerland Plaza had 22 thefts.
- Willowbrook had four thefts.
"I know that people hide under cars, so when I do holiday shopping I always check under my car when I go an put my stuff up," said shopper Shelley Naghi.
Some shoppers admit they're often vulnerable this time of year because they tend to be in more of a hurry and are easily distracted, especially when kids are involved.
"I tell my husband you stay at home and I go by myself and do all the shopping," said shopper Maricela Dievra.