Texas neighbors use teddy bear, golf club to rescue baby
Updated On: Mar 14 2013 10:57:26 AM CDT
A fast-thinking neighbor used a golf club and a teddy bear to rescue a 2-year-old boy from a house fire in Richardson, Texas, on Tuesday morning.
As smoke poured out of the house, calls from neighbors flooded into 911.
"I see a lot of smoke and a lot of fire. Oh my Gosh," said one caller.
"Help! Help! The house is on fire. It's very much on fire. Oh my God. Is there anything that I can do?" another caller said.
"It was just an inferno," said Jack Hewitt, the rescued boy's father.
Hewitt had just left home for work when the fire started. His wife and 2-year-old son, London, were inside. His wife made it out, but in the thick smoke, she couldn't get to her son.
"It's pretty heavy stuff. It's something you never expect to happen until it does," said Hewitt
Another frantic call to 911: "There's a baby inside so please get somebody over there!"
That's when neighbor Troy Richards swung into action, literally.
"The thought there was a toddler in that room, that's all you think about. We had golf clubs and smashed through the window. It was really very dense smoke. And I looked down and there was the baby's teddy bear, and I used that to cover my nose and mouth to filter the smoke out so I could stay in longer and found him and brought him out."
Then, another call to 911:"We have the baby. We're doing CPR."
At first, London wasn't breathing, but soon, relief and one last 911 call.
WOMAN: "The mother is holding him now."
911: "OK, is the baby breathing?"
WOMAN: "The baby is breathing."
Now a father is grateful to his neighbor for saving his son's life.
"I would call him nothing short of a hero," Hewitt said.
The neighbor, though, said he's no hero.
"I think there's probably a hundred dads in this neighborhood that would have jumped in and done exactly the same thing," Richards said.