Sept. 16: Voter suppression or honest mistake?
Texas voters have been receiving letters the past few weeks suggesting they are dead and should be removed from voter rolls. It's the result of a state law that requires the voter rolls be purged of names of people presumed to be deceased. Because people who are very much alive have been receiving these letters, accusations of racism have surfaced as a number of the recipients have been minorities.
State Rep. Carol Alvarado, who was part of the legislature that voted overwhelmingly for the law, talks about the timing of this purging action, and the problem it is causing.
With the Republican and Democratic conventions now over and the general election less than three months away, our political science experts weigh in on what is likely to happen down the home stretch. Mark Jones, Ph.D., Chair of the Rice University political science department is on the program along with Texas Southern political science Chair, Franklin Jones, Ph.D. and Jeremy Bailey, Assoc. Professor of political science at the University of Houston. Whose convention was best? Do the polls matter? And if so, what does 2ND place mean when it's so far from the actual election? These questions and more addressed in this week's Houston Newsmakers.
Also this week, Houston Crime Stoppers Executive Director Katherine Cabaniss is here to focus on the most wanted of the Houston Crime Stoppers suspects, including the $200,000 reward, the highest in the United States, being offered for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for a Houston murder.
Make sure you tune in for Houston Newsmakers with Khambrel Marshall Sunday at 10 a.m., right after Meet the Press with David Gregory.
· Katherine Cabaniss, Executive Director, Houston Crime Stoppers 713-222-8477, www.crime-stoppers.org
· State Rep. Carol Alvarado (D) Houston, 713-649-6563, www.house.state.tx.us/members/member-page/?district=145
· Professor Jeremy Bailey, Ph.D. Associate Professor of Political Science, University of Houston, 713-743-2255, www.uh.edu/honors/about/faculty-staff/jeremy-bailey.php
· Professor Mark Jones, Ph.D. Chair-Political Science, Rice University 713-348-4842, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Professor Franklin Jones, Ph.D. Chair-Political Science , Texas Southern University 713-313-7011