Restaurant Report Card for Nov. 8: Weevils in rice
Updated On: Nov 08 2012 10:35:53 PM CST
If you've had the unfortunate experience of finding bugs in your food pantry, you probably wondered where they came from. In this week's Restaurant Report Card consumer expert Amy Davis is getting to the root of the problem at a popular grocery store chain.
Inspectors said they discovered 12 pounds of rice with contaminated with weevils at La Michoacana at 1419 Wilcrest.
The inspector said the manager removed the bags from store shelves, but when KPRC Local 2 went back a week later, we discovered another bag infested with the bugs.
Weevils are small pests that can invade rice in the field before it's harvested. Once you bring them home, the bugs can also penetrate the other food in your pantry.
We featured the La Michoacana on South Shaver in June for selling moldy empanadas. The grocery chain has 55 stores in the Houston area.
Our A's this week go to Antone's at 4520 San Felipe and the I-HOP on the Southwest Freeway near Gessner. Both had spotless inspections.
To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit www.click2houston.com/restaurantinspections.
How To File Restaurant Complaint
We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties.
Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant:
* For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online.
* Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/foodcomplaint.ht or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/complaints.htm.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to email@example.com.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department.
If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).
Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.