Restaurant Report Card for Jan. 3: Hospital, mall food court problems

Published On: Jan 30 2013 12:55:06 PM CST
Updated On: Jan 03 2013 11:46:19 PM CST

Jan. 3, 2012: While you were relaxing after a big Christmas dinner or sleeping in on New Year's, Houston health inspectors were hard at work keeping Houston restaurants clean. Amy Davis reports.

HOUSTON -

While you were relaxing after a big Christmas dinner or sleeping in on New Year's, Houston health inspectors were hard at work keeping Houston restaurants clean.

While shoppers scoured the sales racks at Memorial City Mall the day after Christmas, inspectors said a cockroach was scurrying across a food prep counter at the Marble Slab Creamery there. They asked employees to clean up the dead roaches in the light fixtures and back prep area.

At Sushi Miyuki in Meyerland Plaza, inspectors said they found eight live roaches in the room where employees wash dishes and cooking equipment is located. The manager on duty showed KPRC Local 2 the dish washing machine where she said the roaches were found. She said an exterminator has since fogged the roaches out.

Inspectors said the food court inside Texas Children's Hospital, of all places, has to do a better job of minimizing the presence of cockroaches and gnats.

Two locations of a Houston favorite were dinged this week. At the Luby's on Old Spanish Trail, inspectors said an employee wore the same gloves to handle parts in a dirty mop sink and handle food. At the Luby's on West Greens Road, the inspector said he found food not safe for human consumption because it was off temperature.

When an inspector stopped by the Pappasito's at Richmond and Hillcroft, they said they shut the place down because there was no running water with pressure. Pappasito's sent us the following statement: 

"The restaurant lost water pressure because the city of Houston was forced to turn the water off without notice for an emergency repair.  The water was turned back on at the appropriate pressure within hours of the health inspector's visit, enabling us to open our doors by 12:45 p.m. We would never open our doors to our guests without running water -- whether a health inspector was present or not.  We take pride in our clean kitchens and we work very hard to exceed health department requirements."

Inspectors condemned 17 pork skins sitting on 2x4's outside of the Matamoros Meat Market at 6515 Chimney Rock. They said the pork skins had flies crawling on them.

At Thai Gourmet at 6324 Richmond, inspectors said they tossed 30 pounds of chopped carrots that they described as "filthy" because they were sitting in a utility sink not intended for food.

It is very difficult to get through an entire inspection without at least one or two warnings, but General Joe's Chopstix at 3939 Montrose did just that. The Chinese restaurant passed with flying colors. It's why we're giving the restaurant an A+ this week.