Restaurant Report Card for Jan. 24: Rats & roaches
Updated On: Jan 24 2013 11:20:27 PM CST
Hazardous cheesesteak and a dead rat. It's what we're serving up in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
We hope the folks in the culinary program at the Art Institute of Houston learned a lesson this week. When health inspectors stopped by the school's cafeteria, they found a dead rodent in the deli's storage area.
At Pho Hai Van at 12730 Scarsdale, inspectors said found live roaches in the food prep area.
Inspectors said there were roaches on the wall, floor, in the sink and on a prep table inside Restaurantes Las Leonerez at 6345 Windswept Lane.
KPRC Local 2 dropped by the Texadelphia at 920 Studemont to talk with a manager about 20 pounds of beef that was stored too hot in a cooling drawer. The meat, intended for your next cheesesteak sandwich, was condemned. By phone, the manager said the cooling drawer has been repaired and your cheesesteak is now safe.
We've got A's this week for the Taco Cabana on the Gulf Freeway near Airport Boulevard and Verona's Flying Pizza at 3995 South Gessner.
To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, click here.
How To File Restaurant Complaint
We get our information from the City of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties.
Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant:
* For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online.
* Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/foodcomplaint.ht or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/complaints.htm.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to email@example.com.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department.
If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).
Copyright 2014 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.