Restaurant Report Card for April 26: Roaches at school
Updated On: Apr 26 2012 10:53:34 PM CDT
The school cafeteria is a restaurant if it's where you have to eat five days a week, and what inspectors found in one school kitchen lead consumer investigator Amy Davis to include it in this week's Restaurant Report Card.
Maybe you look back on your days in the school cafeteria fondly. You may have had a favorite pizza day or hamburgers. Whatever it was, we bet it was nothing like what inspectors found at Sherman Elementary school on Jensen on the city's east side.
Inspectors said they saw cockroaches behind the oven, under the freezer and near the sink.
A Houston Independent School District representative said the issues were addressed the day after the inspection and the school has since passed.
The AVJ Food Store at 3205 Noble gets a "fail." Inspectors noted a small cockroach crawling in the sink and "roaches smashed along the door seals of the microwave."
There were gnats at Bar Valentino at 2525 West Loop South, inspectors said.
Inspectors said flies were buzzing at Doneraki's at 2836 Fulton, at the joint KFC and Taco Bell at 919 Federal Road and in the produce department of the Fiesta at 12201 East Freeway.
Inspectors also said a produce employee was working at the Fiesta with an open cut on his hand.
At the McDonald's inside Texas Children's Hospital, inspectors had to ask an employee to wash his hands after touching his "body part." We asked. The inspector said it was his face.
At Rockefeller Hall at 3620 Washington Avenue, inspectors said they found rodent droppings in the dish machine.
We're serving up A's for perfect scores this week to the Pei Wei at 14008 Memorial and Grille 5115 inside Saks Fifth Avenue in the Galleria.
At the start of this school year, we showed you the schools with the best and worst inspections. You can check your child's own school anytime online. To find the City of Houston health inspection report for your child's cafeteria, click here and enter the name of the school.
To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit www.click2houston.com/restaurantinspections.
How To File Restaurant Complaint
We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties.
Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant:
* For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online.
* Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/foodcomplaint.ht or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/complaints.htm.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department.
If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).
Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.