Restaurant Report Card For March 15: Moldy food at salad bar
Updated On: Mar 15 2012 06:27:12 PM CDT
In this week's Restaurant Report Card we've got gnats, rats and moldy food at a salad bar.
At That Pizza Place in the 3332 Ella, inspectors said the gnats are more than a nuisance, they're a health risk. They observed them flying around inside a reach-in cooler and the cook line.
Inspectors noted a gnat harborage below a sink at Amy's Ice Cream near Shepherd and 59.
Inspectors said they spotted roaches on the floor at Yori Yori at 1302 Blalock.
Moving west to Medley's Cafe in the 12116 Westheimer, inspectors spotted mouse droppings inside the food cabinets and on the floor.
At the Ranchito Taqueria at 6873 South Gessner, rodent droppings were inside a box of tortillas at the cook line, on the floor and on shelves in the food and utensil store room.
No droppings were found at Java Java Cafe on 11th Street near the Heights, but apparently there is a problem. Inspectors told employees the exposed rat and mouse bait lying around is prohibited.
Inspectors described the ice machine at Java Java as "filthy" because of so much slime. It was quarantined until employees cleaned and sanitized it.
Inspectors said employees at Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Medical Center trimmed the mold off of old cauliflower to be used for salads.
To see a complete list of restaurant violations in the Houston area, visit www.click2houston.com/restaurantinspections.
How To File Restaurant Complaint
We get our information from the city of Houston Health Department, but many of you have complaints about restaurants in other cities and counties.
Refer to the following list to find out which agency to contact depending on the location of the restaurant:
* For all complaints about restaurants located in the city of Houston, call 311 or file the complaint online.
* Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services inspects and permits all retail food establishments in the unincorporated areas of Harris County as well as in the cities of Tomball, Katy, Jacinto City, Galena Park, La Porte, Morgan's Point, South Houston, Seabrook, El Lago, Southside Place, Hunter's Creek, Piney Point, Bunker Hill, Jersey Village, Spring Valley, Deer Park, Humble, Waller, and West University Place. If you believe you have become ill from ingesting food from an establishment in unincorporated Harris County or in a city inspected by Harris County, please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/foodcomplaint.ht or call them at 713-274-6300. If you are concerned about a food establishment's operations such as cleanliness, food handling procedures, etc., please file a complaint at http://www.hcphes.org/eph/complaints.htm.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Montgomery County, call the Montgomery County Health Department at 936-539-7839.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Galveston County, call the Galveston County Health Department at 409-938-2300. Use this link to speed the process and file your complaint electronically, or send an email to email@example.com.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant in Brazoria County, contact the Brazoria County Health Department.
* To file a complaint about a restaurant Fort Bend County, contact the Fort Bend County Health Department.
If you have a news tip or question for KPRC Local 2 Investigates, drop them an e-mail or call their tipline at (713) 223-TIPS (8477).
Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.