Grandson arrested, questioned in pastor's murder

Published On: Nov 11 2012 03:21:14 PM CST   Updated On: Nov 12 2012 06:28:20 AM CST

Nov. 11, 2012: Police say they've taken into custody a person of interest in the deaths of a local pastor and his daughter. Robert Arnold reports.


A man was arrested Sunday and questioned by police regarding the death of an 89-year-old southeast Houston pastor and the pastor's 61-year-old daughter, who was visiting from California.

Police said Cameron Dorsey, 20, became a "person of interest" after he was seen leaving his grandfather's house shortly before the bodies were discovered on Thursday. Houston firefighters found the bodies of Vincent Dorsey and his daughter, Barbara Ann Dorsey Alexander, after a home on Dover street caught fire. Police said they later determined both victims suffered from "blunt force trauma."

Detectives said Cameron Dorsey had been living with his grandfather after his release from jail, where he served time for theft. However, investigators said Dorsey had asked his grandson to move out. Police said the home also appeared to have been ransacked.

On Sunday, a neighbor, who asked not to be identified, spotted a man trying to get inside the Jesus Christ Holy Temple Church where Dorsey was the pastor.

"I had a feeling that was Cameron Dorsey," the neighbor told Local 2. "I said, 'Yeah, that got be Cameron Dorsey.'"

This neighbor then dialed 911 and police arrested Dorsey a short time later.

"I'm glad I got a chance to get him off the streets because I was praying they would hurry up and get him off the streets," the neighbor said.

Dorsey has been charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. Police said detectives are still questioning him about the murders.

The murders devastated the small community where Dorsey was a fixture and loved by many.

"He was a good man. Every time he would give us work, he would pay us or feed us," said Treyvon Momon. "Every time he was here was a good day."

Police said the pastor's wife, who suffers from dementia, was also home at the time of the murders, but was asleep. Police said she was not hurt.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus