Brother, sister burned in power line accident

Published On: Feb 17 2013 05:07:47 PM CST
Updated On: Feb 18 2013 07:16:29 AM CST

Feb. 17, 2013: A brother and sister are hospitalized after they were severely burned in an accident with a downed power line. Joel Eisenbaum reports.

HOUSTON -

A brother and sister were severely burned in an accident with a downed power line Sunday.

Officials said the 3-year-old and 5-year-old were playing in their back yard in the 3200 block of Nutwood in Northwest Harris County around 1:30 p.m. Sunday.

"I don't know if they were playing on it or they tripped on it, but there was a big bang and the electricity went off for a second," said neighbor Lori McNeill.

The brother and sister were airlifted to UTMB Shriners Hospital and were listed in critical condition.

"Things like this happen in a split second, and it must have because she (mother) is always out there with them," said neighbor Edward Gray.

It is unclear exactly how the children were burned.

McNeill told reporters Sunday the victim's mother had called CenterPoint Energy earlier in the week to alert the company about a loose guide wire attached to a electrical pole in the back yard. According to McNeill, it was the same loose wire that made contact Sunday with a live wire and the children, burning them.

"They hadn't come yet," McNeill said.

Harris County Precinct 4 deputy constables were at the scene Sunday, but referred questions to CenterPoint Energy.

"We have secured the area. We're now conducting an investigation to find out what happened," said Alicia Dixon, CenterPoint Energy's director of media relations.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus