People from around the nation have opened their hearts to a baby who was found abandoned inside a plastic bag outside a northwest Harris County apartment complex.
The girl, named Chloe by nurses, was found outside the Stonegate Villas Apartments on Grant Road near Jones Road about 7 p.m. on Feb. 19.
Doctors at Texas Children's Hospital said she may have been born prematurely -- she only weighed 4 pounds when she was found. She had about 3 inches of her umbilical was still attached.
Chloe was released from the hospital on Monday. Child Protective Services has placed Chloe with a foster family. Officials said she is safe and being cared for well.
After photographs and video of Chloe were released, KPRC Local 2 received dozens of inquiries from people, many outside of Texas, who wanted to adopt Chloe. CPS attorneys said they plan to ask a judge to legally sever parental custody so Chloe may be put up for adoption immediately.
There are many steps to adoption and prospective parents must fulfill many requirements in order to become eligible to adopt a child. Basic requirements include:
- be at least 21 years of age, financially stable, and responsible mature adults
- complete an application (staff will assist you, if you prefer)
- share information regarding their background and lifestyle
- provide relative and non-relative references
- show proof of marriage and/or divorce (if applicable)
- agree to a home study which includes visits with all household members
- allow staff to complete a criminal history background check and an abuse/neglect check on all adults in the household
- attend free training to learn about issues of abused and neglected children
The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services has an information packet that explains the process to adopt or foster a child. The state's website also provides in-depth information about how to adopt a child or become a foster parent.
Deputies are searching for the woman who delivered Chloe. She may face a child endangerment charge, which is a felony.
CPS officials said they want to talk to the mother so they can help her baby have the best life possible. They would like to at least find out her family's medical history.
Anyone with information about Chloe's mother and/or the person who abandoned the baby is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.