Firefighters worked overnight to put out a three-alarm apartment fire in northwest Harris County on Wednesday.
The Nantucket Square Apartments at 2218 Place Rebecca Lane near Kuykendahl Road caught fire about 2 a.m.
"The fire was coming out of the windows, glass was already broken, flames were shooting out of the front living room window," resident Paul McConnell said.
Firefighters said they responded quickly, but strong winds in the area affected their ability to fight the flames. They said embers from the original fire blew into a different area and they had to work to prevent another blaze.
The chief of the Ponderosa Fire Department said the cause of the fire appeared to be accidental, but he offered a word of caution about fires:
"If you do use a candle during (the) holiday season, please use a ceramic plate underneath, and never leave candles alone," said Chief Fred Windisch. "Do a good inspection of your home with extension cords, etc. But again, look at that furnace and watch out for those candles."
Six units were burned and six others sustained smoke and water damage, officials said.
Residents of the complex evacuated the building and no one was injured.
"We did save a pet during the firefight," Windisch said.